The Record Blog is the coolest independent site for pop music. We provide our readers with our savvy takes on new releases, including songs, videos, albums, as well as exclusive interviews and gigs. This is for those who crave for great music and awesome curated content. For inquiries, please email us at therecordblog@gmail.com.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Can PRP Fight Thinning Hair?

By Shawal Ras


Raved by the team at Vogue few weeks ago, I was sent to try out the latest obsession in cosmetic surgery by the celebrities in Hollywood; the PRP treatment for hair loss.

Platelet-Rich Plasma, or commonly known as PRP, gained publicity in the beauty world for its rejuvenation function for the skin. Formerly used to fix sporting injuries, the treatment requires the patient to draw blood, filter it, and reintroduced it back as PRP to be injected back into the scalp. Basically, a machine will be used to screen the blood; red blood cells, plasma, and platelet-rich plasma. The latter then will be spun one more time in order to be enriched, allowing it to nourish your scalp.

Sounds interesting, aight?

What caused hair loss? Well. In my case, according to Dr. Nigel, it's a mixture of hereditary (West-Asian blood) and bad diet (I love local fried foods - sigh). 

The treatment itself took 20 to 30 minutes to complete. After they took my blood to be processed, the clinic's chatty staff gave me some head massage, followed by several anesthetic injections onto my forehead. After several minutes of waiting, Dr. Nigel started the procedure, assisted by several aides and the marketing manager, Mr. Ben, was also there to keep me calm with endless jokes (I totally ignore the pain with the right type of jokes).

Like what I've explained in several posts before, I am not a fan of injection. At all. So for this one, aside from anesthetic injections, I also received the PRP injections. It's a lot, but to be really honest, it doesn't hurt a bit probably because it's done on my head and not my face.

After it was over, I head back to the office and continue my routine as usual.

Since the treatment was done less than two weeks ago, I can't express my frenzy over the treatment just yet. Amazing thing happened tho; I rarely loss any hair since I did it. Yay!

What to expect: The results may vary, according to what I've read. Scientists have conducted clinical studies on the expectations and results from the PRP hair loss treatment, but overall the results are positive.

I'll definitely update this column in a month or two. WATCH THIS SPACE!



Premier Clinic is a prestigious medical aesthetic centre in Malaysia and has been touted by the local media as one of the best in Malaysia. With six full time aesthetic doctors and a variety of treatments to tailor to every client's needs, the clinic is located in several key locations (Bangsar, Taman Tun Dr. Ismail, Puchong, and the newest addition to the family in Ampang) and it promises professional services and great results. Visit website.

No comments:

Post a Comment