The Record Blog is the coolest independent site for pop music. We provide our readers with our savvy takes on new releases, including songs, videos, albums, as well as exclusive interviews and gigs. This is for those who crave for great music and awesome curated content. For inquiries, please email us at therecordblog@gmail.com.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Exclusive | Damien Ike

By Shawal Ras


A relatively newcomer, Damien Ike, is set to shake the music scene. Hailed from East London, Ike has been described as a star and lauded as one of British proud homegrown talents. Lucky enough, The Record Blog has been given a chance to interview this fella and our conversation went from his music, Mikky Ekko, and yes, fashion.

THE RECORD BLOG: Hi, first of all; let's talk about your name. It's pretty rare. Is there a story or meaning behind it?
DAMIEN IKE: Damien Ike is actually my middle name. Ike is a shorten version of Ikechukwu, and it’s a traditional Nigerian Igbo name which bears the meaning “god’s power”.

TRB: I took the liberty to listen to your music online and I love that whole organic feel to it. I'm digging it, actually. In your own words, how would you describe it?
DAMIEN: I would say my music is big in sound. It is ballsy and in your face, but heartfelt and emotive. It goes straight from the jugular.

TRB: Is there any muse that inspired your records?
DAMIEN: I’m inspired by bands like Coldplay, Florence + the Machine, Tears for Fears, and Talk Talk. I love that feeling of being overwhelmed with emotion, and that’s the feeling I try to create in my music.

TRB: How would you describe your creative process?
DAMIEN: Slightly intense. I spend all of my time on lyrics. I want people to feel like I’m telling their story and to challenge it as a way of making it fresh and new.

TRB: In your opinion, how’s the UK is doing in the music industry scene?
DAMIEN: The music scene is great in the UK. I think we have great artists doing amazing things. Adele is such a musical perfection. Florence is amazing. And Coldplay… legends! Newer artists like Sam Smith, Bastille, and Kwabs are really showing how diverse we are in the UK when it comes to music.

TRB: I saw a picture of you and Mikky Ekko in the social media few days ago (see below). What’s up with that?
DAMIEN: I actually supported Mikky on his show in London. I was the opening act and we used to be managed by the same management company, so it felt like a whole full circle coming back to do that show. He is so talented, his voice is absolutely stunning, and he’s one of the nicest people I’ve ever met.

TRB: What can we expect from you in the near future?
DAMIEN: I will be announcing more live dates very soon and yes, more music!




TRB: Fashion is such an important element in music right now. It sorts of an integral part to your whole image and aura, and it compliments your products. Can you describe yours?
DAMIEN: It varies. For everyday look: I love BLACK! I love a good turtle neck sweater, and overcoat or long line cardigan. I’d say my style is dramatic, but classy. As for on stage: there’s a bit more colour. Hmm, say bomber jackets and lots of bold prints?

TRB: Do you have a favourite piece of clothing?
DAMIEN: It’s more of an accessory. I received this Bottega Veneta Man Bag for Christmas and it’s amazing!

TRB: OK, last question for the interview and I think it’s a legit one: who’s your style icon?
DAMIEN: Hmm, I have two: for everyday style I’d say David Beckham because he is a the only man that can do no wrong and he always looks really well dressed. And, as for artist, I’d go for Kanye West. He always pushes his fashion and it’s incredible to see some of the pieces he wears on stage, especially when he’s on tour. They’re incredible.

If you’d like to know more about this fella, you can go ahead and like his Facebook page, tweet him, or listen to him through his official YouTube and SoundCloud. Or in case you’re in London, you might wanna buy a tix to his next show. Worth it!