The Record Blog is the coolest independent site for pop music. We provide our readers with our savvy takes on new releases, including songs, videos, albums, as well as exclusive interviews and gigs. This is for those who crave for great music and awesome curated content. For inquiries, please email us at therecordblog@gmail.com.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

LP Review | Karmin - Pulses

Karmin
Pulses
Epic
Release date: March 25, 2014

By Shawal Ras



Karmin is gonna be big this year! They'll finally release their long awaited debut album, Pulses, in just one week, and you know what, as a present for their fans, the group is doing a pre-listening party via Amazon and let me tell you this: I kinda love the album (not fully, but there's a lot of love from me).

The album kicks off with a bang. The first track 'Pulses' got Nick singing in the chorus and he sounds pretty dope (and have you seen the video? Nick is shirtless!). Following tracks, 'Acapella' and 'I Want it All' are some of the best tracks in the album, which I've reviewed previously. 

Shocking number is at the sixth track - it's a soft ballad, 'Neon Love' - and I'm not a fan of it. The song is nice but Amy's voice is just too hard for it. Other than that, I love 'Drifter' (oh the beat sounds effing nice), 'Tidal Wave' (Nick is again, singing!), and 'Puppet'.

After I've listened to the whole album (13 tracks, around 42 minutes), I basically divided the album into two: the first half of the album is pretty pop-ish but the second half is very experimental-ish. I'm not a huge fan of those "experimental" tracks because I think they could've been done better, but other than that, it's an enjoyable album. You'll dance to it, and there's not much hard beats like those in their previous EP, Hello

Overall, Pulses is quite a strong debut for the group. After two years of waiting, you'll enjoy the album without having to explain to everyone else if Amy's rapping sounds a lot like Nicky Minaj. 

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. Karmin is going to be a big deal this year! Great stuff, can't wait until 3/25 http://smarturl.it/KarminIWantITALL

    ReplyDelete