The Record Blog is the coolest independent site for pop music. We provide our readers with our savvy takes on new releases, including songs, videos, albums, as well as exclusive interviews and gigs. This is for those who crave for great music and awesome curated content. For inquiries, please email us at therecordblog@gmail.com.

Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Music Video Review | Hozier - Take Me to Church

Hozier
Take Me to Church - Single
Rubyworks / Island
Release date: September 16, 2014 (Single) / September 25, 2014 (Music Video)

Probably the heaviest music video I've watched this year, Hozier's 'Take Me To Church' just became my favourite to win Song of the Year in the upcoming Grammy.

The black and white video (directed by Brendan Canty and Conal Thomson of the Feel Good Lost) revolves around the story of two men who found love with each other but their affair marred by the community (presumably Russian, based on the riot shown in the television set) who can't accept their kind and instead of learning to understand them, they decided to teach 'em a lesson.

"What has been seen growing in Russia is no less than nightmarish, I proposed bringing these themes into the story and Brendan liked the idea," Hozier said, explaining the concept of the video in an interview with State Magazine.

First of all, this video is very graphic in a way it drives me to tears. It is gut-wrenching and pretty much looks cinematic thanks to the song's gospel overtones and rock-ish sound to it. The way the verses and bridge synchronise with the scenes are just perfection.

For that, kudos to both of the directors!

Secondly, the dark subject matter of the video and the song itself is the reason why this should be a hit. That scene where the antagonists dragged the main character to the fire scares the shit outta me. Reminds me a lot of 1999's Oscar-winning motion picture, Boys Don't Cry.

I mean, this is a splendid work of art. Four minutes is all it needs to convince you the dire situation of the homosexuals in those non-accepting nations. 

Plus, this line gives me chill: "Take me to church, I'll worship you like a dog in the shrine of your lies / I'll tell you my sins so you can sharpen your knife." 

That's deep.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it yet, watch the video below and give me a shout in the comment box below!

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment