The Record Blog is the coolest independent site for pop music. We provide our readers with our savvy takes on new releases, including songs, videos, albums, as well as exclusive interviews and gigs. This is for those who crave for great music and awesome curated content. For inquiries, please email us at therecordblog@gmail.com.

Sunday, June 01, 2014

EP Review | Lyonn - Promenade

Lyonn
Promenade (EP)
(Independent)
Release date: May 20th, 2014

By Shawal Ras


This is rare, but I never expected a singer to contact me personally to go through his record and Lyonn did just that!  

California native Tyler Gelrud, or better known as Lyonn, released his sophomore EP, Promenade, two weeks ago and after a few sessions, the record pretty much embedded in my brain.

To be honest, I would've never pegged him as a pop singer judging by his name (OK, the first thing that came to my mind upon getting his message: will this be hip hop? or another EDM?). 

But let's move on with the music, shall we...

Promenade is a simple record with easy-to-love tracks. I love 'Dancing Machine' and 'Just Say Hello'. With the latter got my most favourite sing-a-long lyric ever: "HELLLOOOOO-LA-LA-LA-LOVEEEEEE!" (I don't mind the cheesiness though - it literally tattooed on my brain, so, it is kinda genius, y'know). 

But, vocally, Lyonn got this sweet and soft voice where it might get lost in huge music arrangements. But thanks to the EP's simple signature sound, his voice soared through without any problems. Would love to hear more beats and perhaps, a duet (just some ideas for your next record). 

Anyway, if you got some free time, listen to this record (HERE) and try something other than the usual Top 40. You might love it.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment