The Record Blog is the coolest independent site for pop music. We provide our readers with our savvy takes on new releases, including songs, videos, albums, as well as exclusive interviews and gigs. This is for those who crave for great music and awesome curated content. For inquiries, please email us at therecordblog@gmail.com.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

LP Review | Ariana Grande - My Everything

Ariana Grande
My Everything
Republic
Release date: August 22, 2014

By Shawal Ras


Ariana Grande shakes her 'do and back on top of Billboard 200 with her pop-oriented sophomore LP, My Everything.

Less than a year after releasing her outstanding debut LP, Yours Truly - which is still my favourite album from 2013 - Grande decided to totally ignore her R&B roots and go through with the current trend, a fusion of Pop and R&B. 

I tend to agree with most of the reviews churned out by various mainstream reviewers: My Everything is a good pop album with brazen sonic but it is bland, empty and produce zero-impact experience. 

Truth be told, Yours Truly was such a successful LP (critically) because of its content. The songs are engineered to perfection and Grande's new one is nothing but just another pop record out there. Don't get me wrong, I love 'Problem' and 'Break Free' but they're just... cliché. 

Anyway. Despite the flaws I've mentioned above, this is still a cool LP. I don't mind listening to mainstream pop tracks every once in a while. Other than the first two singles, I love 'Break Your Heart Right Back' and 'Love Me Harder'.

'Hands on Me' and 'Just a Little Bit of Your Heart' are such buzzkills, though.

Overall, My Everything is a decent album with enjoyable songs and stellar vocal performance by Grande. I just hoped she'll break free from this typical rope of pop stars gone bad and go straight to what she can do best... being Mariah Carey.

P/s: Where's your pants, gurl?

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment