The Record Blog is the coolest independent site for pop music. We provide our readers with our savvy takes on new releases, including songs, videos, albums, as well as exclusive interviews and gigs. This is for those who crave for great music and awesome curated content. For inquiries, please email us at therecordblog@gmail.com.

Monday, January 13, 2014

LP Review | The Pussycat Dolls - Doll Domination

The Pussycat Dolls
Doll Domination
Interscope
Release date: September 23, 2008

By Shawal Ras



The Pussycat Dolls returns to the scene in 2008 with their second (and final) album, Doll Domination. After achieving so many success with their debut, PCD, the Dolls are expected to be better, bolder and with the word "dominance" is largely at display here, one ought to think it'll be a very empowering record. Doll Domination is the group's first album since the departure Carmit Bachar, the longest-serving doll since its first appearance back in 1995. 

Doll Domination is indeed a big chunk of failure. I know I'm being super harsh here but I have my reasons. Why? Well, first of all, most of the songs here are taken off Nicole Scherzinger's unfinished solo project, which, in my opinion, kinda all over the place and there's no cohesiveness in its content. 'When I Grow Up' is a cool dance opening track (my favorite in the album!), but other than that, the Dolls kinda play around the pretty shallow idea of being empowering (one note: 'Bottle Pop'). Plus, with a whopping 16 tracks in the standard edition (18 in deluxe, 25 in collector's edition) - come on, this album is kinda heavy and draggy at a certain point. I was expecting more bump-and-grind numbers instead of love and heartbreaks.

Still, Doll Domination also got few cool tracks for you to listen to while at work. My choices: 'When I Grow Up', 'I Hate This Part', 'Out of this Club', 'Magic' and 'Halo'. The others aren't that great though.

Overall, I think the Pussycat Dolls could've done something much better for this record. Seriously, the title Doll Domination is kinda cool and I was disappointed after I listened to the end product. Hmm, if only the girls are still together, their next album might be cooler. Sigh.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment