The Record Blog is the coolest independent site for pop music. We provide our readers with our savvy takes on new releases, including songs, videos, albums, as well as exclusive interviews and gigs. This is for those who crave for great music and awesome curated content. For inquiries, please email us at therecordblog@gmail.com.

Friday, November 09, 2012

EP Review | Lana Del Rey - Paradise

Lana Del Rey
Paradise (EP)
Interscope Records
Release date: November 9, 2012

By Shawal Ras


I'm in love with Lana Del Rey's Paradise.

This Extended Play (EP) is officially released on November 9th, 2012 (I thought it was on Nov 12, my bad). Paradise comprises of eight new songs; 'Ride', 'American', 'Cola', 'Body Electric', 'Blue Velvet', 'Gods and Monsters', 'Yayo' and 'Bel Air'. 


Thoroughly, I fell in love with this EP. Why? Well, the song choices were pretty much described Lana's infatuation of being a proud American, or "Paradise" as she described it (well, that's my interpretation lah).

'Ride' is the perfect first track, a song about being tired of chasing dreams and opting for riding through the constant-moving world. 

Then comes 'American', my favorite track out of all eight songs in this EP. The song speaks about being proud of our nationality. Even though the song is about being an American, I can actually relate to it by making it as Malaysian. "Be young, be dope, be proud" as the lyrics says. 

'Cola' is probably the most vulgar song in the album other than 'Gods and Monsters'. The first line "My pussy tastes like Pepsi Cola" is just shocking. 

'Yayo', is one of the track from her debut unknown album, and it was re-recorded for this EP. This song is so beautiful. The music arrangements made the listener feel at ease. It was so slow during the first hearing, but after a few times, you kinda dig this song. 

To be honest, I don't know how to express my interest with this album. For me, this is much better than her studio effort, Born to Die. Paradise catches the meaning of being in the moment; a surreal moment where everything just falls perfectly. 

It is the great continuation of her debut album. It felt connected.

This may be a mix of my feelings toward the album. I get it if you guys don't understand this post, but seriously, try listening to her album and this EP, and then you'll understand why I like her songs so much.

Rating: 5 stars out of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment